Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling
ACAC of NC is a support and information network for counselors who work with children and adolescents. The American Counseling Association’s Code of Ethics (2014) and the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs standards (2009) charges counselors with enhancing human development across the lifespan; therefore, ACAC of NC supports counselors working with children and adolescents from birth through age adolescent. The breadth of this developmental range offers its own unique experiences and challenges. ACAC of NC serves to bring a community of counselors together who strive to offer best practices to this under-served and distinct population.
Call For Trustee Nominations:
Deadline: June 2, 2018
ACAC-NC is currently soliciting nominations for three Trustee positions. The current trustee positions serve in rolls associated with Membership, Communications and Special Projects. The terms of all three positions are one year terms with current nominations being solicited for the term of July 2018 – June 2019. You must be a member of NCCA and ACAC-NC to serve as a Trustee. The deadline for nominations is 02 June 2018 with elections to be held immediately following the close of nominations.
Please submit your nomination using this link – 2018-19 Nominations
For additional information, please contact Dr Sarah Moore, Past President & Chair of the Awards and Nomination Committee: email@example.com
The mission of ACAC-NC is to:
- Promote greater awareness, understanding, and advocacy for professional counseling services that aim to improve the educational, emotional, and social functioning of children and adolescents. Such services include, but are not limited to, individual and group counseling, consultation and collaboration, diagnostic assessment, program development, and referral services. This advocacy is founded on the premise that children and adolescents who receive appropriate assistance to handle personal, social, career, and educational issues and challenges will more likely meet with success in their overall development and in making important life decisions.
- Support the development of research-based, best practice models for delivering child and adolescent counseling in both community and school settings. The ACAC-NC provides and fosters professional development for counselors who serve children and adolescents, families, and related practitioners in the community. At the same time, ACAC-NC endorses preparation standards and certification and licensure processes sanctioned by the counseling profession (such as, the Council for Accreditation and Related Educational Programs, the National Board of Certified Counselors, State Licensing Boards, and the American Counseling Association.
- Publicize research-based, best practice models to verify effective models, programs, interventions, and strategies used in the ethical practice of counseling and related services when working with children and adolescents in a variety of professional services. Its purpose in these endeavors is to raise the standards of practice with children and adolescents in counseling, psychotherapy, and mental health.
Who Joins ACAC of NC?
ACAC of NC is open to all counselors who work with children and adolescents in a variety of settings, including schools, agencies, hospitals, and private practice. Counselors who benefit from membership in ACAC of NC include:
- Mental Health Clinicians
- School Counselors
- Play Therapists
- Counselor Educators
- Any counselor working with children and/or adolescents
For more information:
Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling
American Counseling Association
ACAC of NC Board for the 2017-2018 year:
- President: Dr. Theresa Kascsak; Professor, Capella University; firstname.lastname@example.org
- President-Elect: Courtney Evans-Thompson, email@example.com
- Secretary: Camila Pulgar, Associate Project Manager, Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Division of Public Health Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Hannah Brady, Masters’ student, NC A & T
- Immediate Past President: Dr. Sarah Moore; Private Practice and Clinical Coordinator of Center for Behavioral Health and Wellness/Adjunct Faculty at NC A & T; email@example.com
- Trustee- Membership: Will Batchelor, Masters’ student, NC A & T, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Trustee- Communications: Briana Mack, Masters’ student, NC A & T, email@example.com
- Trustee- special projects: Camila Pulgar
History of ACAC-NC:
Devoted Service Award
2015-2016 Patti Admundsen
2016-2017 Sarah Moore
‘Beginning Child and Adolescent Counselor’ Award : honor someone that has been in the field for less than 2 years and has shown commitment to meeting the therapeutic needs of children and adolescents.
2016-2017 Camila Pulgar